haha! I found the missing file full of the ice cream recipes I worked on last summer. yay! There will be a number of recipes appearing over the next few days. Here’s the first one:
Pistachio Ice Cream
(Makes 1 quart of ice cream)
I was searching around for a good pistachio ice cream recipe in my cookbooks and online. Most involved pistachio paste, which I didn’t have (and couldn’t get any since I was living way out in the mountains at the time). Then I found this amazing recipe for pistachio paste! I was incredibly excited. I still couldn’t make it with the ingredients I had at hand (I am very grateful that I now live in civilization where one doesn’t have to drive 2 hours to a halfway decent grocery store) but it got me thinking.
Since I couldn’t use amazing homemade pistachio paste, I improvised. This ice cream is probably not as impressive (nor as green) as one that involves pistachio paste but it was still absolutely delicious! If you’re in a pinch and wanting some pistachio ice cream, this does the trick really well.
- 1 cup of shelled pistachios
- 2 cups of Half&Half
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Spend a long time shelling pistachios, discover that your fingers are now kinda green.
- Using a mortar and pestle, grind up the pistachios.
- Heat Half&Half and sugar at medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. As always, make sure you don’t let the cream curdle or scorch.
- Pour cream mixture in a bowl with the pistachios and vanilla extract. Mix thoroughly.
- Freeze in your ice cream machine according to its instructions.
- A fun addition if you like chunks of things in your ice cream, is to throw in some coarsely chopped pistachios as the end of the churning time so your ice cream has extra pistachios.